Post-grad Job Hunting

Work in progress.
What do I do now? Anything; I can literally do just about anything. I'm free from school and don't have any long term commitments in regards to work or owning estate. It's daunting to me sometimes since I just moved to a new city and am still getting used to it. Since coming here, I've taken some time off to reflect and adjust. While I still haven't quite adjusted, I have started to look for employment in creative fields. I found that it is hard to find a job for me in an abundance of jobs. Partially, it's my fault for not knowing, SPECIFICALLY, what I want to do. The other part is where I got my education. I know that I am lacking many industry standard skills, especially, use of computer software to create art. That leads me to be unorganized with my portfolio and down the rabbit hole of further confusion about where I should develop my strengths in art. 

Not knowing what I want to specialize in is one thing that I've identified as a fault. Artists with a bit of everything in their portfolio can't expect to get a hired for a specific role unless they are able to showcase artwork specific to that role. Employers are looking for artists to do a specific job excellently; not someone who can do everything yet just OK. Don't celebrate mediocrity; study it and learn from it.

Being in Alaska isn't so bad. But, when it is far from experts, workshops, lectures, and the industry that I want to work in, of course, I am behind the times. While I work digitally for some of my pieces, most of my work in comics is done with traditional mediums. Inking with brushes and pens, and coloring with paints or markers to produce finished work. 

Even while facing confusion and adversary conditions, I find it motivating. There's something oddly comforting about being new to a city. With a little more time and a lot of effort, I'll finally hit the sweet spot on figuring out a good portfolio. Like my artwork, I am a work in progress.


Comments