Scanning Markers


I have scanned most of my work with home printers or the one at my university in the art department's media room. For the most part, it works well on my ink pieces. However, I found art work that was colored with markers to be a little more frustrating. When I scanned artworks that were made with markers, I found that each stroke would show up in the scanned image - shockingly more outstanding than seeing it in person. 
Take a look...



Looking at this up close in real life, you can see the strokes, just not as defined as they are in this scanned version. At first, I was annoyed by this result. I thought about it more and decided that it's part of the piece as a result of tools used. After all, isn't a 2D work of art not only the resulting image but also the creative process that it went through? After applying this thought, I became less annoyed with the scanner. 

Comments