Burn



Inktober 2018 day 3, "Roasted". I ended up not finishing all the days for Inktober, a drawing challenge published by Mr. Jake Parker. 

While I do set personal artistic and creative goals, I don't punish myself for not reaching them. Sure, I take my goals seriously, but I don't obsess over the failures. Rather than emphasize failures and defects, I try to gain the positive result of completing some illustrations in the challenge. 

In this case, Inktober is something that many of my peers said that they feel pressured by. I don't think they should feel pressured to the point of stressing out. In the right mindset, pressure is a good motivator. During my early college years, I had a hard time recognizing my growth as a result of pressure. I just stressed myself out. 

Feeling like a failure or feeling pressure to make art just because it's a goal takes all of our focus off of the potential growth that we gain from putting ourselves through challenging situations. Instead, focus on the skills that you did gain from your goal. 

Comments